3.16.2011

I fell in love.


I fell in love... With a coat rack. But not just any coat rack.

I consider myself a crafty person- by which I mean making crafts, not sly and deceptive. I love creating and I love uniqueness. So when my friend shows me the DIY section of the site pinterest.com, I was hooked. Specifically on a certain handmade wall coat rack with vintage doorknobs for hooks. So cute.

Color of the day: Sepia... ya know... vintage...?

I zeroed in on said coat rack and set to planning. First stop: Home Depot... Fail. This practical store only has practical doorknobs. And only raw-cut wood, so no luck for my baseboard either.

No biggie. I head to my next stop, the craft store where I easily find my slightly overpriced pine slab (to be used as the base). Next: Anthropologie, home of everything cute, including "antique" knobs and hooks. I start gathering them all in my arms, and then check the price out... $12.99... PER KNOB?!?! This was indeed becoming a truly expensive endeavor.

Sadly, but smartly, I put all the knobs away and drove home, defeated. Until of course my roommate tells me where to find more aptly priced treasures. So I head to the next store, and they are indeed within my price range. But alas! one more obstacle: the screw attached to the knob is about twice as long as my base is thick.

At this point, I was over it to say the least. Eh hem, let me clarify: I was done with trying to create my own coat rack... I was not, however, done with the idea of having one.

Somehow, throughout my foraging for supplies, I had forgotten that a wall rack was something I wanted, not needed. Yet now I was convinced that I needed one, and needed one desperately. My room would not be complete without one, despite my room's ability to have survived thus far without one.

My new coat rack is on my door. Consumerism: 1. Creativity and resourcefulness: 0.