11.20.2013

[just another autumn day]

The rain that I love gradually lets up. The yellow leaves on the ground are now soaked and the water makes them shine. The sun peeks through and warms the view- children in rain boots, leaves clinging to the branches that have held them since spring, puddles that ripple under the still-misting sky.
Isn't it thought provoking that, that amongst a literal season of death in the world of nature, we feel such excitement of life happening? Perhaps it's because we agree with the truth that in order for new growth to happen, old things must die off, clearing space for us to curl up in a cozy blanket of introspection to renew and refocus.
Sarah Dubbeldam, "Darling" Issue No. 5
It is during this season that I feel my soul awaken like never before. Autumn brings me such newness, such life. I feel free. I feel sure.

Yet how often in the past weeks have I been reluctant to notice the autumn-ness? I have ignored the quiet voice that beckons me to stop and see. I push it off, for seeing can happen later. When I'm less busy, less stressed, less preoccupied.

And yet the very seeing is what stirs up my soul and gives me Life. The Word experienced.

The color of the day is scarlet- the red of the leaves in the vineyards, the old brick buildings that seem to carry extra charm this season, and the coffee cups that hold scrumptious gingerbread lattes. Cheers to autumn and the reminder to keep my eyes open.