11.24.2010

Paper turkeys and airports



Today marks one of the busiest travel days of the year. So what do I do? I travel, of course. My friend dropped me off at the airport with plenty of time to stand in the inevitably long security line. I warily lug my stuffed-to-the-max carry-ons through the crowd, but when I reach the security line, it is non-existent. Within ten minutes, most of which was spent peeling off my cardigan, sweatshirt, jacket, gloves and scarf, I was through. Dang it. Now what? I have two hours until my flight...

This gives me time to ponder. Not a new revelation, but something I've always known. I absolutely love anything cozy, and winter holidays are the ultimate definition of cozy. While I'm totally nervous about the 20 degree weather that awaits me at home, the thought of drinking hot chocolate next to the fireplace overrides any reservations.


Which brings us to the color of the day:
burnt sienna, a warm brown that defines Thanksgiving. It is the color of the oven-roasted turkey that will soon grace my presence, the color of the football with which I shall make a touchdown tomorrow at my family's annual Thanksgiving morning game, and the color of the pumpkin ale that warmed my soul last night.

While the pumpkin ale was superb, last night's pub had something even more awesome: supplies to create your own hand-print turkeys! There was construction paper of every color, googly eyes, and even glitter!!! Of course, I dove right in and started on my creation immediately. It was fantastic. Happy turkey day! Gobble gobble...

Above photo by Kelsey Mosca, a fellow handprint turkey creator.