1.01.2011

Cheers to changing or staying the same.


Welcome, 2011! Not only is this the first week of 2011, but is also my first official week of post-graduation freedom (the last two weeks were too hectic to consider them free).

New Year’s resolutions get a bad rap for being unrealistic goals forgotten by February. And that's a good point. But there’s also a very real attraction to the idea of having a clean slate, of starting fresh. But really, we don’t need a day on the calendar to tell us when it’s okay to start over.

For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.
-Monologue from David Fincher's film, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes I get caught up and let others’ expectations of who they expect me to be dictate who I am. That’s not fair to me, or to those who love me. After all, change is one of earth’s most innate characteristics. And to change in the most beneficial way possible, I’ll be attempting to take advice from a wise sage who said “be the change you want to see in the world.” Hefty responsibility, right? Well, baby bites make it easier to chew on.

Color of my new year: Granny Smith Apple, representing the growth and renewal that I’m trusting God to show me in this coming year. I’m looking forward to the laughter, the tears, the struggles, and the achievements. Cheers to you, mate!