12.16.2010

WWBD?

I'm missing Christmas this year, there's no way around it. I'll be working, and seeing as my place of work is about 9 hours away from my family, I'll be flying solo for the weekend. For some, that is a good thing... finally, an excuse to get away from the fam, right?

Well, my family is awesome- which makes not seeing them on Christmas... not awesome. I'm going to miss seeing all my cousins, uncles, aunts and grandparents, and of course playing silly yet totally entertaining Christmas-themed games (my favorite one being name-that-Christmas-carol because I totally rock... I'm basically a carol connoisseur).

However, this is one of those "when life gives you lemons" times. My lemonade comes in the form of extreme holiday spirit. Today was step 1: yuletide cookie baking.

I went to the store first thing in the morning, armed with a list of ingredients for six different types of treats: chocolate crinkle cookies, gingerbread men, sugar cookies, chocolate-walnut fudge, snickerdoodles, and peanut butter blossoms.

I set to baking right away. Flour: 2 cups. Sugar: 1 1/2 cups. Vanilla extract: 2 teaspoons. Embracing the season's festivities: immeasurable.

Color of the day: sonic silver, the silver of the wrappers of the Hershey's Kisses that centered each peanut butter blossom, the mixer beaters that I ate yummy cookie dough off of all afternoon, and the tinsel garland that will deck my halls by the end of the week.

Four hours later- mixing the ingredients together for the fifth recipe, knowing I still had one more to go, I realized that perhaps I had tackled a little too much. This holiday extremist way of life is exhausting. However, my holiday motto inspired me to push through: WWBD? (What would Buddy the elf do?).

Tomorrow is step 2: the tree.